Schamozzle have been running classes in Melbourne’s inner west since 2008. We aim to provide a fun, stimulating program which fosters creativity and develops children’s abilities to work co-operatively, express ideas and problem solve.
Our classes are taught by highly experienced, registered drama teachers who have specific qualifications and training in the methodology of teaching drama.
Process drama describes a whole group improvised drama. It is a method of teaching and learning where everyone is involved in the telling of a story and exploring the issues within the story. We use dramatic forms (such as movement, mime, games, soundscapes) to create a shared imaginary dramatic world and make discoveries about ourselves and the real world along the way. The process is important and emphasized not the end product.
Our classes are focussed on the process of developing whole group improvised dramas. We don’t do concerts and performances. In a child’s early years the best drama experiences occur when they are fully engaged in the direction and development of a story. We use improvisation, not scripts. Children contribute ideas to resolve problems and to advance the drama. Instead of concerts, we hold parents participate classes where families are invited to come along, join in the fun and see how their kids are progressing.
Benefits of Drama
• Encourages empathy and seeing things from different perspectives
• Develops skills working with others, co-operation and negotiation
• Encourages thinking about ourselves and others and understandings about the world – our past, present and future
• Increases problem solving abilities and gives opportunities for decision making
• Encourages imagination and creativity
• Develops skills in concentration and focus
• Fosters language development & communication skills
• Gives opportunites for creating, exploring and further understanding stories
• Increases self confidence